Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Roasted Carrot Soup (my version)


Photo courtesy of Ms. Tureen

on a busy night, or even an unbusy night, one of my favorite "go to" soup recipes is Roasted Carrot Soup ... not only because it is so flavorful and satisfying, but because I almost always have the ingredients in the house ... and it is a very flexible soup ... so have fun with it ...
 
Ingredients
  • 1 or 2 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 1 lb carrots, well scrubbed and cut into halves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
  • Pinch of freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
  • 2 cups vegetable broth (or enough to cover roasted veggies)
 
Now here's where it gets fun:  if you like ginger, add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger (or to taste); if you like curry, add curry to taste 
 
How To
 
1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees and cover a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (makes clean up so much easier).  Toss onions and carrots with salt and pepper and olive oil.  If you happen to have any seasoned oil, that works too.  I have a lovely herby olive oil that adds incredible flavor.  Roast the vegetables, turning occasionally until they have turned a lovely deep golden brown. 
 
2.  Transfer cooked vegetables to a large saucepan and cover with stock.  Add curry or ginger if you so desire.  Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until carrots are soft. 
 
3.  Puree vegetables and stock (I use my immersion blender for this task).
 
4.  Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche if you so desire ... I do not desire but that's just me.  I love it just the way it is ... sometimes I might serve it with a few crunchy homemade croutons but not always.
 
(And yes for those very observant few, I did sneak a sweet potato into my soup only because I had one lone sweet potato in the pantry.)
 
 
Happy Souping
 
 










No comments:

Post a Comment