Wednesday, February 20, 2013

taking stock

so let's talk stock ...

and while I do often make my own stock, I don't always and because this is just a friendly blog to encourage the soup lovers of the world, BUYING STOCK IS OK TOO ...

the only thing I will tell you about making your own stock is that you get to control what goes into it ... (for example, how much fat and salt, organic produce vs conventional) so, as with all things you consume, be sure to read the nutritional information ...

today I want to just talk about vegetable stock and a very wise friend of mine once told me, "when I am making vegetable soups, I use vegetable stock" ... which makes a whole lot of sense to me ... so thanks Michele Finnegan for that souper tip ...

if you do want to make your own stock, here's a super easy recipe using items that you probably already have on hand:

Basic Vegetable Stock*

1 tbsp. olive oil
2 large onions, quartered and peeled
2 or 3 stalks of celery, including leaves
2 large carrots, scrubbed
1 bunch green onions, chopped or 1 leek thinly sliced
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced (optional)
fresh parsley to taste
fresh thyme to taste
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
10 cups of water

Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat.  Add vegetables and sauté for 10 minutes or until softened.  Add all other ingredients and boil covered for an hour.  Remove from heat and strain.  Use within 4 days or freeze for future use.

* This recipe is very flexible.  If you have mushrooms in the fridge, toss them in.  If you have another vegetable, toss it in too. 







No comments:

Post a Comment