Tuesday, February 26, 2013

soup idioms

as I was sliding my double batch of orange ginger carrot soup (recipe to follow) onto the back burner, I thought about how often I have used that idiom and yet never really thought about it ... 

food for thought ... so to speak ...

on the back burner:  Alludes to putting a pot that needs less active attention on a back burner of a stove, leaving space for pots that need to be stirred.


which then made me think of the idiom "stir the pot" ... growing up, my Mom would often say to us kids "don't stir the pot" ... or she'd say about someone "oh they are just stirring the pot" ...

stir the pot: To stir the pot is to agitate a situation to cause a reaction or trouble.

with 4 of us kids in the nest, it's not hard to imagine that the "pot was getting stirred" on a daily basis ...

thanks for your patience, Mom ... and for sharing your love of soup ...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment